Instructure Intros Canvas Certified Educator Program
This week at Instructure’s virtual customer conference, CanvasCon Online, the learning management system company announced the Canvas Certified Educator program. To earn the degrees, applicants will take a series of courses designed to improve their understanding and use of Canvas, as well as non-product-specific best practices for online and blended learning.
The certification initiative will have separate tracks for Kindergarten to Grade 12 and higher education. Participants will be able to take personalized asynchronous online courses for each one, with the hope that the courses will be completed within a certain time frame.
The program will generate digital badges for participants through the Badgr micro-accreditation provider at the end of each course. When they have completed the course (four basic courses and two elective courses, taught within Canvas itself), they will receive a digital course badge.
Each course should last approximately four weeks. They understand:
- Core 1: Foundational Frameworks, which explores the impact of technology on student learning and the classroom and how Canvas can be used to help educators improve student outcomes, motivation and engagement;
- Core 2: Engagement Strategies, to examine how Canvas can help enrich teaching practices and maximize student outcomes;
- Core 3: Personalized learning, to dive into personalized learning and learn to create opportunities for the voice and choice of students in the learning environment;
- Core 4: Transformational Practices, to help participants learn to assess open standard digital learning tools that can enhance learning through Canvas; and
- Elective courses, described as a series of optional courses that can be selected by educators based on interests and needs.
Instructure is working with the educational nonprofit Digital Promise to align its curriculum courses with the Digital Promise credentials. Digital Promise will provide staff to review candidates’ evidence of learning.
âCanvas Certified Educator is a direct response to inquiries from our clients in recent years,â Melissa Loble, Customer Experience Manager, said in a press release. “They want to have a deeper knowledge of the platform and have credentials and badges that certify their expertise with Canvas to facilitate professional development and career progression.”
Canvas Certified Educator will launch its first higher education course on November 9. This will run until January 1, 2021. The tuition fee is $ 335.
A live intro to the program will air on YouTube on Wednesday, October 21 at 10:30 a.m. MT.
Dian Schaffhauser is Senior Contributing Editor for Educational Publications at 1105 Media The newspaper, Campus technology and Spaces4Learning. She can be reached at [emailÂ protected] or on Twitter @schaffhauser.